Yesterday proved to be an enlightening day.
Since little Larry was born, he has always been latex
sensitive. Meaning, that he was not allergic, but he had a
high sensitivity to latex because of all
his surgeries and all the contact he could have
to latex. So, since the day he was born, I always made
sure no one used latex products on him.
And all his charts have latex precaution on them,
even his school records.
Well, yesterday he was playing with a balloon
animal. Being the boy that he is, he pulled on the arms of this
balloon until it eventually popped.
It whacked him upside the face along his jaw line.
About 10 minutes passed when Xander came to me and
said Larry had hurt his face. I looked at Larry
and his jaw bone was completely swelled up.
With any of my other children, I would have
suspected tooth ache because they are poor brushers.
But Larry has not had a cavity in his last 4 dental visits.
I could not find a sting mark anywhere so I asked him what happened.
He finally told me about the balloon and I was able to put
2 and 2 together. He is now latex allergic.
A dose of benadryl and 30 minutes later, Larry's cute little face was
back to normal. I wish I would have taken a picture
so you could see how swollen his cheek had gotten.
Thank goodness for benadryl.