Skip to main content

Larry's Surgery

As many of you know, September 30
was the start of a lot of work.
That is when Larry had his first of
many recent "repairs."
This last surgery occurred on Nov 20th.
The above picture is of him waiting
for his room to become available. It
would not be so bad, except that we literally gave Larry
his last "clear" meal at 9AM for a noon check in.
How long do you think they had to wait?
If you guessed after 5PM, you win.
Yes, it took that long to wait for his room to become
available and then get cleaned. And all this time,
he could not eat because he was
to have a bowel prep overnight. That is like a
colonoscopy prep where you have to drink the nasty
liquid the night before. Larry has the luxury
of an ng tube so he does not have to taste the
liquid, but it still makes him sick.
The bright-side is that he did not have to go through
the yucky bowel prep all night because he had not eaten
all day!

Here is my brave little man the morning of his surgery.
He is truly the strongest person I know.

At last crazy dad goofing off for the camera.
Little Larry likes to take pictures of his dad to keep his
mind off everything else.

So, Larry's surgery lasted about 6 hours.
Dr. Gearhart was able to reattach his ureter at a different
spot on his bladder. Isn't it amazing what they can do?
His hospital stay was a lot longer than anticipated.
First Larry had a bladder infection, then he had
a wound infection, and finally he caught
the swine flu. So his 5 day hospital stay turned into
a 12 day stay. Thank goodness for great
Uncle Ben! I think the two of them definitely bonded.
Larry's first night home, he woke up in the morning
and cried for nearly an hour because he missed him so much.

Larry's final procedure (we pray) is scheduled for
Monday Jan 4. What a way to start the new year?
He will finally be free from tubes and back in school!


Popular posts from this blog

Beach Blanket Bingo

Last week we packed our bags and headed for Hilton Head Island. We had never been there before and heard rave reviews from quite a few friends.  Being just 5 hours from our house, how could we not look into it. Such a love affair between father and daughter. These two absolutely adore one another. My fearless Ethan.  He scared me too death because he was always out far from the beach and alone. He had absolutely no fear and was a pro on that little boogie board. Funny story, on our first day there,  Ethan had gotten out a little far and was alone so Larry Denzil went out to join him. Behind Ethan, Larry saw a fin peer up out of the water  in reaching distance and pulled Ethan to him. When he turned toward the shore, it was just a dolphin.  Whew!   I absolutely love this picture.  Ethan just sat in the shallow pool of water and did what looked like synchronized swimming.
Xander and Larry both boogie boardin' fools. Larry tried to hit dad up for a surf board. What was he thinking?  I can tell teen years …

A Young Man Turns 9

It is so hard to believe that my oldest boy turned 9 on Dec 30th. 9 years! Wow. We began our journey with little Larry at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. My 17 week ultrasound had shown that I was carrying twins in which 1 twin had died just the week before. It was such devastating news. I remember lying there thinking do such things happen. The poor OB cried along with us. He honestly was not sure what the outcome would be for the living twin because it appeared the 2 babies shared a sac. Not only did they share a sac, but it also appeared the 2 might even be conjoined at the abdomen. Of course I went to a specialist who was able to determine the "syndrome." I really HATE that word. But my baby had what is known as OEIS Syndrome. Oomphalocoele, Exstrophy, Imperforate Anus, Spina Bifida. Wow. What is this and do such things really exist? Well, the specialist really only wanted to help us out in 1 way, abortion. He felt this child would never live a normal life. And yet he had never…

One Last Summer Hurrah

Well, our saturday got off to a rocky start, but in the end, I think we all enjoyed ourselves.  We started the morning off by running a few quick errands.  On our way home, we stopped at the local Krispy Kreme and went to Carrier Park for breakfast.  While at the park, Larry and the kids did a little exploring and I found this neat tree.  Each kid was super excited to climb up and have their picture taken.  Xander was the first.  He had absolutely no fear and climbed up fairly high.  He was much higher than any other child.

This is my favorite picture of little Larry.  He just looks like such a man here.  He is really good at posing for shots too.  Can you tell I take hundreds of pictures of the kids because they instinctively know just how to pose.

We placed Ruby and Ethan up in the tree.  Both of them wanted down as soon as they were up. Ethan said he was too high.

Here is my beautiful Savannah.  She is growing so fast.

Ruby loved the tree once Daddy was in it with her. As a matter of fact,…